Software Wish List
- A browser should maintain a cookie directory showing which website
implanted each cookie.
- A browser should not permit a website to hijack the Back sequence or to
turn off any functional element, such as copying or printing.
- Control of opening a link in a separate window should be in the hands of
the user, not the linking website.
- History should be editable and permanently retained.
- It should be possible to preview pages to be printed and adjust page
boundaries in the printed output.
- It should be possible to print directly from the screen buffer, without
downloading the page again.
- It should be possible to mark a link as unfollowed, broken, or working.
- Popups should be automatically blocked, with a complaint automatically
sent to the webmaster of the offending site.
- An attachment index should be created for all (or selected) attachments sent and
- An e-mail program shcould autocheck for duplicates in the address list for outgoing
messages, including lists within lists.
- An e-mail program should include an integrated search engine allowing multiple search
- A URL index should be created including all (or selected) links in all messages sent and
- Each message should include date and time received as well as date and time sent, and
messages should be sorted by the time received.
- Formatted e-mail should be automatically unformatted for ease in replying and levels of
quotation should be translated to the >, >>, >>>, ... system.
- It should be possible to filter messages after reading them.
- Junk mail should be transferred to the junk mailbox without the mailbox opening.
- Line lengths should be automatically equalized, as closely as possible.
- Messages and replies should be linked so that an entire exchange can easily be
retrieved, including messages that quote or are replied to by more than one other message.
- Multimedia should be available but not forced on the user.
- Passages quoted in more than one message should be stored in one place to save disk
- Pointers should keep messages sorted simultaneously by various different criteria:
sender, dtae recieved, mailing list, country of origin, subject, link, codes, etc.
- Returned mail should appear as "from" the recipient it's returned from, with
the original title and a flag set. It's annoying to have to open a piece of mail that's
bounced to discovered which outgoing message was returned.
- Users should be able to define their own message codes and sort messages using them.
- Users should be able to program automatic responses to certain types of messages.
Polymath Systems Home Page